Wednesday, October 24, 2012

What Lies Beneath



They says it’s the quiet one you have to worry about.  They’re the ones who leave everyone in shock when they find out what lies beneath the surface.  I am definitely the quiet one.  I’m a wife, a mom, an office worker, a little on the shy side, and very much an introvert.  Most people who know me have seen the darker side of my personality, but few know how deep it really runs.

I’m fascinated with murder.  Crime.  The FBI tracking down serial killers.  Mysteries.  Forensics.  Police investigations.  I can’t get enough of shows like Criminal Minds.  I watch the Investigation Discovery channel like other women watch soap operas or the Kardashians.  I secretly wish I had the guts (and the stomach) to be a homicide detective or an FBI agent.  But I don’t.
So instead I fill my mind, and my imagination, with books and movies and crime shows.  I write, gradually beginning to piece together the stories of the character who has formed in my mind over the years…a Nashville homicide detective, driven by the still unsolved murder of her best friend, determined to give a voice to the victims who have no voice left and bring justice for them.
It’s a slightly twisted fascination, but there’s no denying it.  It’s part of what makes me who I am.  It’s part of my dream, to write, to tell the stories in my head

6 comments:

  1. I find the CSI and coroner part of investigation very interesting although I am tired of all the CSI shows. They have been on too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same way, I love all that stuff. Drives my husband nuts because I will stay up late at night reading about serial killers & horrific crimes. Then I freak myself out & can't sleep.

    I'm like you, I have some characters building in my head that have me thinking that I'll write them down someday.

    Your book sounds good--I'm ready to read it already. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked watching those shows, too. Not in the way you probably love them, ok, definitely not the way you do, but how fun to know what a deep passion you have for the subject. Wish you were able to do something in that arena. Writing might be a great outlet! Stopping by from Mama Kat's

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you have a gift. You should write!

    I have to admit, I can't watch any of those shows. They stress me out. Anything with crime, blood, murder... not for me! But I know there is a huge audience. It's evident with the popularity of the shows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those shows and miss them (we don't have cable). I have to satisfy that craving by reading. And keep up the writing, and join a local writers' group - you'll find like-minded (and sometimes shy) folks who will encourage you to improve your skills and tell you about publishing opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a huge fan of these types of shows.

    ReplyDelete